Remember, these are just my opinion. I’m not trying to say this is the right way to go or that I’m always right. This is just my opinion that I’ve formed thus far in my life.
Here are ten things I believe in:
- “Nothing worth having is easy to get.” ~My Dad, on graduate school. This is by far one of the single most important things my dad has ever said to me. He told me this a few years when I first started considering grad school for myself. Now, almost daily, do I find myself in situations where this is the statement that comes to my mind. This goes for academics, careers, relationships, and love.
- A life lived in stress is not worth it in the end. I could write about examples of this for the rest of my life, but I’m going to keep this short. At the end of the day, I truly don’t think anything is worth getting worked up over in any capacity. Stress is so damaging to your quality of life and overall health that it is almost sickening to me how much people get upset over the tiniest things. In the end, how much you get stressed is not going to matter. And getting stressed does absolutely nothing to help the situation whatsoever.
- I could not have gotten through my life so far without the help of God. He is ever-present in my life and has never once let me down. I don’t know how people can live their lives without Him, but that’s just my opinion. He is merciful, forgiving, and sovereign.
- All relationships take work, all the time. It’s so easy to take someone for granted in life, or even to take a relationship for granted. I’ve learned through my own experiences and watching others that there is not a single relationship in life that does not take extreme amounts of work, constantly. No relationship will survive without maintenance and work from both or all parties involved.
- There is no other human that anyone can depend on but themselves. I’ve already done an entire post on this a few weeks ago, but this one of my strongest beliefs in life and also one that I can personally testify in my own life. I wish so badly that everyone could believe this too.
- “But the most exciting, fun, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” ~Carrie Bradshaw The very last line of Sex and the City gives me chills every time I watch it. This may be one of the most true statements of that series.
- “If there is an earthly body, there is also a spiritual body.” ~1 Corinthians 15:44 Having lost two pets (a dog and a cat) so far in my life, after the last one passed, I truly believe with all of my heart and everything inside of me that I will see my animals again in heaven. This verse proves it so well.
- Absolutely no one deserves to be lied to, no matter the situation. I don’t think that anyone, no matter who they are or what they have done, ever deserves to be lied to by anyone else. There is no excuse for lying and at the same time there is no reason anyone should ever settle for it. So many people take disrespect and lying from people all the time and it hurts me greatly to see them settling. It’s not worth it to lie, ever, and it’s never worth it to be lied to either.
- “Some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some people refuse to settle for anything less…than butterflies.” ~Carrie Bradshaw This goes with what I said in the previous point. There is that one person out there for everyone that will always, always bring butterflies to you. And I believe in waiting for it, because eventually you will find it. Until then, anything else is “settling.”
- Finally–I believe in trying the best I can to not judge others and to keep an open mind as best I can in every situation. I try really hard at this. I don’t think it’s fair to anyone to judge them on anything–everyone is different, has grown up different, and been through different experiences in life that make them who they are today and why they believe what they believe. Just because they don’t agree with me does not mean they’re wrong and I’m right. (And that goes for all 10 of these points too!)
One more I thought was more than necessary in my life (those that know me personally can account to this) as quoted by my favorite and great Tom Petty: “Good love is hard to find.”